Monday, November 23, 2009

Jimmy's Here!

Jimmy’s here! It’s delightful to introduce him to my world. It’s good to catch up on the last few months and any other issue we choose. After church we went to the coffee shop and debated the benefits/disadvantages of technology on our society. Then we walked along the river and talked about his job. I love to see him here. And watch him interacting with the people who have come to mean so much to me. Yesterday night, though, at dinner a gloom settled over me. Jim’s coming means the beginning of the end.

Dr. Bauman’s last class has come and gone. I’ve said hundreds of goodbyes to good friends. But it’s different with Dr. Bauman. Very different. How do I express my gratitude to someone who has challenged and shaped me so much? Who has invested so much into influencing me. And not only me. But thirty other people. That’s the problem. I feel like just one more person saying the same thing. And it seems so routine and inadequate. In the end all I can say is “Thanks, you’ve made a big impact on me.” I think he understands. But I wish I could say more.
With Thanksgiving on Thursday and graduation on Friday it’s a full, full week. Looking forward to it, I’m already exhausted. This last week was full of meeting with girls and organizing the arrivals and guest rooms for the 60+ extra people descending upon us for the festivities. My desk and my mind have been chaotically full of mentoring, guest rooms and arrival dates.
And all the other goodbyes are looming up. I’m sad to see the end of good times with people who have become so dear. I always figure that the tougher the goodbye, the better the friendship was. So I can’t help but consider what a unique privilege these few months have been. I am very, very grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Naomi, I am happy knowing you are coming home, because that means I get to spend time with you again and share my life with you, on the other hand, I am sad to see you will be leaving all those wonderful sounding people you have grown to love. =) Maybe you will see them next year?! Right now Desiree, Judah, Jimmy, and you are gone....its lonely!!!! I miss Desiree a ton, but the good news is that you are coming home to keep me company, then soon enough, I will have you both, yahhhhhh!!!!! I am excited to see you and I hope you and Jimmy have a safe trip back.
    Love Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a safe, enjoyable trip home! It was such fun to see you again. A letter (or Christmas card perhaps) is coming your way soon!!

    ReplyDelete