Sunday, October 18, 2009

welcome, dr.williams

Since they happen to be such a big part of my life at the moment, I thought I'd add a picture of the amazing staff I'm working with. Nate and Russell, on the left, are the guy's mentors. Suzanne and I are sandwiched in the middle and our increda-cooks, Amanda and Shelly, are on the right. It's an awesome group. I love how the friendships between us deepen and grow.

Dr. Don Williams is here for the week. He is such a one of a kind... I despair even trying to describe him. He's what an English Professor ought to be. White beard, big glasses, and constantly switching between Old English, Elvish and quotations. He lives in old literature. I drove van number three to Church this morning. He rode shot gun. Looking back over his shoulder he conversed with the students.
Rosey: "You might be interested in knowing, Dr. Williams, that we're going to do a Lord of the Rings movie Marathon."
I can't repeat Dr. Williams emphatic response. But it made me laugh and comment on his strong opinion. He almost glared at me.
"Opinion?! I never have opinions. I speak facts! ...opinions? as if I ever gave an opinion!"
I laughed and he added:
"-William Kirkpatrick."
In between his recitations about stars and fair ladies' white faces, Rosey and Emily warned him about Slavish, who likes to wear a sarong to class - just to see what the teachers will do. Dr. Williams asked how they recommend he respond:
"Shall I skirt the issue... or give him a dressing down?"

People who do or tell are common enough. It is rare to find people who are . Perhaps that is why he is so engaging. He so thoroughly loves literature, and stories. He delights in English as a channel to glorify God. His verbal encouragement to love these is weak compared to his obvious revel in them. It makes you curious. Curious and eager to find what secret treasure he has unearthed. And you wonder if you've missed something wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. nay, it may be that dr. williams knows his english and even revels in it more than yourself, but you are a kindred spiirit to him. you are loved and admired by many (including myself) not for what you do and tell (altho these are nice sometimes), but for who you are. and like he you are lovely to be with and draw ones to yourself just as he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jelous that you all get to be with him...I think that he gets a lot of the credit for me new found love for English literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many interesting people. It makes me think I should have gone with you! And he sounds like a blast to be around, for curiousness like you said, and that he is unique. And I have to agree with Hannah that you do draw people to you because people are comfortable with and feel like they can talk to you about anything! (im not speaking of me or anything) hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please keep posting! I love to hear your thoughts ... :) (and loved getting to see you even more!). Sorry I didn't get to say good-bye ... we left early this morning and good-byes really didn't happen (sigh). :( Love you, friend - great to see you!

    ReplyDelete