Monday, October 5, 2009

culture questions

Over the past week the hills have flamed out in vibrant orange and gold and rust. The aspen leaves are quivering like sheets of pressed golden. I think the mountains are dressing up to celebrate my birthday. A few years ago I tried to persuade myself that as an adult, there’s really no need to get worked up over a birthday. I failed. This year I’m just looking forward to it. When the package from home came, I stacked the parcels up on my little shelf. And every few days, when Post Office Box 3787 benevolently bestows another little package, I add it to the stash. That little shelf, laden down with thoughts and good wishes from people who love me makes me smile.

I’m a bit nostalgic, too. This time of year always makes me pensive. Six crazy, long years ago I left home for the first time. Perhaps It’s even more in my face as I watch so many other young people at that point in life. It makes me remember where I’ve been.

Speaking of where I’ve been, culture class at BBTI is front on my mind. We have a guest speaker this week, John Stonestreet. He’s been assaulting us with questions about a Christian’s place in culture: how we should respond to it; influence it; create it. He keeps saying, “Write this question down…” And so I keep writing and the list gets longer:

If we are concerned about the next world, than what difference does this world make?
How should we be involved in this world?
Is Christianity this-worldly or is Christianity other-worldly? What’s the difference?
Are we to be good Christians or are we to be good humans? What’s the difference?
Do we learn to have faith so that we can live in the world? Or do we learn faith by living in the world?
Biblically what is the goal of human culture?
How should reconciliation and redemption impact human cultures?

Lot’s of new thoughts. Lot’s of old thoughts. And good conversations. Jonathan -a student with a similar background and a head full of brilliant red hair - and I have been hashing out what it means to rightly live out counter-cultural convictions. Especially in Christian circles. When is it good to fight hard for high principles? When do you hold your peace? How do you choose which battles to fight? What hills to die on? I love the accountability that stems from such conversations. I love the provocation of other’s thoughts and convictions. I love to live with people, learn from them, and be challenged with them.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, again, sister!

    I think you should email me with all of your answer, when you reach all of your conclusions. =) It sounds much nicer to receive a list of "do's and don'ts" rather than rethinking it all over for myself. J/k....kinda.

    I love you and miss you and wish I could take you in my purse to the hospital with me. perhaps I'm a bit nostalgic too. hmmm.... is that a sugar coated word for just plain depressed? I dunno. I'll think about it later, since my lab coat and stethascope are calling my name.

    Good bye, dear one. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've copied this questions down and am going to start thinking about them myself

    ReplyDelete