Sunday, September 6, 2009

where AM i?

After a long day of travel, I met Suzanne outside the Durango airport. How delightful to see her! And what a difference it makes to know people here. I compare this arrival with last years. So much gentler for me. There are a few new faces. But the familiar ones are so sweet to see again. To pick up right where we left with last years jokes and experiences. I feel at home.
I admit, though, that as I write this tonight I’m a little homesick for my home people. We don’t have internet yet. And I have yet to find a place that my cell phone gets reception. Russell - one of the other mentors - told me there’s a ledge on the edge of the mountain next to the lodge that gets a signal. Maybe I’ll get a chance to explore tomorrow.
Tomorrow will be full, though. A handful of students are here this evening. But most of them show up tomorrow. So we’ll spend the day giving tours to curious parents and shuttling from the airport.
We had several staff meetings today. It’s good to have Eric leading us again, in his quiet, laughing way. And what an interesting group we are this year! There are some very strong personalities amongst us. But I think we’re going to work well together. And as I glance around at them, I look forward to this next three months.
Browsing through student forms, getting to know my teammates, brainstorming about small group with Suzanne - I’m getting excited!

2 comments:

  1. Im glad you feel at home there =) Enjoy yourself =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, not only is it a ledge on the edge but it's a ledge on the edge next to the lodge. :-P what a hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete