Sunday, September 20, 2009

two weeks down

I feel much more settled at the beginning of this week than I did at the beginning of last. Last Sunday I led our first small group. Nine girls watching me. And then throughout the week I tried to pull each of them aside to get a little one on one. Nine seemed like a lot. But now that I’ve gotten a chance to connect individually I’m excited. I love to observe different personalities. I love to ask questions and try to understand how someone thinks. And it’s pretty cool to be able to pull out the “I’m your mentor” line and ask any question I want to. Including: “What are you REALLY thinking?” I feel so privileged to walk along side them as they ask questions and build foundations for beliefs. Privileged and sometimes very small. I love the challenge and pray for wisdom.

Last night Libby and I walked down the driveway. (side note: I’m finally getting used to the dreadful lack of oxygen at 7,000 feet. So trudging up the hill isn’t quite as breathtaking an experience as it was last week.) The sun was just setting through the aspens. We had to stop and just marvel. The leaves were almost translucent with the sunbeams shining through them. I wonder if that was the inspiration behind the very first stain glass. The mountains around us are turning gold and red. So subtly that you hardly notice what’s happening until the color has already changed.

And for those of you interested in round two, it was a six hour drive. I won.

3 comments:

  1. The scenery sounds amazing! And Fall starts on Tuesday!!! I'm happy that you get to meet so many new people and have relationships with them, I can imagine how excited you are, because.....well, you're a very excited person lol. :) *good thing* :) I feel priveledge to call you my friend, and say that I know you. Though, I think we should spend more "girlie" time together. Dont you??? That would be fun. Have a slumber party or something when you get back. Yep! Im already planning it *evil laugh* hehe................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how awesome (in it's more archaic form) it is to find yourself as a mentor to someone. Knowing what I remember of you from times past I can think of very few people who would rise more succesfully to the challenge. Have you not found it to be true that you gain more from your mentoring experiences than you impart?

    ReplyDelete
  3. slumber party sounds awesome, Kayla! lol. i bet you CAN imagine how excited I am. you've probably seen me that way before. :P

    yeah, Michael. i gain so much more than i give. i feel unspeakably blessed for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete